Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Mountain Devo :)




I took a trip into the mountains recently ... I drove pretty far up into the Appalachian mountains ... farther than I've ever been before. Heck! I've never really being INTO the mountains before - ANY mountains ... especially, alone. So it was quite a trip! Some of my adventures that day were awesome ... even scary. I'll have to tell you about 'em when I blog about my "Cutter Gap" trip. And I sat down for my "quiet time in front of the Appalachian Mountains" toward to the end of my trip. So my heart was racing a little ... I was a bit wiped out from being on the edge of my seat all day (in amazement and awe) and driving all day on curvy, mountain roads. These pictures are of my mountain view at my devo spot ... and a picture of me leaning up against my car, basking in God's word and the beauty of His creation. I honestly don't remember much about my devotional that day ... I was ready to head back down the mountain - it had been an exciting day. But I do remember this ...

"Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:23-26

How could you forget that, right? Man, this is good stuff. This is not only my favorite Psalm but one of my all-time favorite passages of Scripture. Powerful, powerful stuff. And to read it surrounded by that view? Oh! It was good. I remember standing up in the middle of that field, surrounded by the beautiful Appalachians, just hugging my Bible ... thanking God for such a sight ... and for His love and faithfulness. We serve a great God!!!!

If you haven't already, drive up to Lake Michigan, catch a train to the mountains of Tennessee, fly to Florida's beaches, walk next door to your friendly, neighborhood, Indiana cornfield, and sit and do your devotions. Soak up God's beauty. It really is awesome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment