Monday, October 31, 2011

Robbed in Texas

The summer after my freshman year in high school, my family and I joined a group from our church on a mission trip to the Texas-Mexico border. Our church supports a couple missionaries there - John and Margie Lezotte. I think that's how you spell their last name - it's close, at least. We went there to do mostly puppet ministry (from what I can remember), but also share our testimonies ... put on a Vacation Bible School type deal for various churches and schools just over the border. I can't remember what part of Mexico, or I would tell you. It's crazy to say this, but it's been 10 years since that trip ... a whole decade since I was a freshman in high school. Wow.

Anyway ...
We spent a good deal of time in Texas as well. We stayed in some houses that John and Margie have on their property. One day, while we were out on our missions projects, the house my family was staying in was ROBBED! If you've ever been robbed, you know how violating it feels. It was weird ... and kind of eerie. Everyone was okay (probably 'cause we weren't there when it happened) - that's important - but Wes and I did have a few of our things stolen. Wes had his backpack stolen, and the robbers took my purse, which had $70 in it. Bummer. I think I remember the exact amount because John persisted in paying me back the money. It was kind of a weird experience. If you ever stay in a desert area near the Texas/Mexico border, you might not wanna leave your purse laying on your bed, full of money ... even if your doors are locked. Not too smart on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment