Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Killer Raccoon

It was the third week of March ... 2009.
I went to Turkey Run for a two-night, three-day camping trip ... By. Myself. Whoa! Are you kidding me? That is stinkin' brave! I remember feeling so COOL when I planned the trip ... and even COOLER as I packed up my car and headed to my destination ... and the COOLEST when I actually stayed for the two nights and three days. Wow! What a crazy woman!

First of all, it was March. Umm ... 30 degrees. Outside. In a tent. Umm ... yeah. I'm crazy.
Second of all, it's outside ... at night. Eight words: Snarling raccoon in the woods near the outhouse. Yeah. No joke! I had to get up and pee in the middle of the night 'cause that's what you always have to do when it's flippin' cold and flippin' dark and you're flippin' sleeping all alone in a tent in a nearly-deserted campground. Ha! Yeah ... I'm not only crazy, I'm stupid. Tell me about it later, okay? ;) So ... I nearly cried thinking about walking across an empty campground AT NIGHT ... when anything could jump out and get me! But ... I pressed on ... I really had to pee, ya know? I crawled out from under the covers ... grabbed my flashlight, which was dying. Yep! On top of a dark, cold, long walk to the outhouse, my flashlight was barely working. Haha! So I braved it up. I grabbed my cursed flashlight, slipped on a pair of shoes, and started the long, scary, dark, noise around every corner trek to the outhouse. My heart was pounding a bit, but I was doing okay. After all, there was a lone light above the outhouse across the way ... no animals or people in sight, so nothing was out to get me, right? Umm ... yeah. So I'm 20 feet from the outhouse when I hear this loud snarl in the woods!!!! I don't think I had to go to the bathroom anymore ... but I just wanted to duck and cover! I froze in my place. Scared out of my mind that a killer raccoon was about to jump out of the woods and eat me alive! Because ... yes ... raccoons can do that. I waited a second ... I shot up a quick prayer ... and I bolted for the outhouse door!

Yeah ... it's a miracle I made it out of that camping trip alive! No joke, right? Wow. I am a crazy woman!

All in all, the trip was really good for me. I had some time to reflect on some things that had been distracting me. I journaled a lot ... and prayed. I got my "I need my space" fix ... that's for sure! Before the first day was over, I wanted to be around people again! I got lots of hiking in, and I love to hike! I even went up against a killer raccoon!!! What more could a girl seeking solitude ask for? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment